An active start in life
How we are making a difference:
- We provide advice and support to a range of innovative schemes such as Cherwell District Council's FAST programme, the year-round walk to school scheme WOW and the Ready Set Go project with Oxford Hub.
- The WOW scheme resulted in 4 in 10 car journeys to school being swapped for a more active option and in participating schools 87% of pupils choosing to walk, cycle or park and stride to school.
- We support primary schools across Oxfordshire to spend the PE Premium funding in the most effective and sustainable way, sharing key learnings and promoting best practice across school networks.
- The Oxfordshire School Games is a year round programme of physical activity and school sport that inspire young people to be more active. Active Oxfordshire works with School Games Organisers, School Sports Partnerships and National Governing bodies to deliver activities to young people facing barriers to activity across the county each year.
- We focus our interventions on the most disadvantaged areas of Oxfordshire to challenge inequalities.
Healthy Active Children is one of Active Oxfordshire's Three Pillars and we work tirelessly with partners to make sure that our younger generations can access a healthy, active start in life.
Ready Set Go Project: case study
Ready Set Go is a collaborative project being run by Oxford Hub. The project aims to support every child in Oxford to learn to swim and ride a bike. Operating predominantly in Blackbird Leys, Cowley, Cowley Marsh and Northfield Brook, the project will aim to increase physical activity levels within families and young people.
'So far we are have supported children and families to learn how to ride a bike by providing them access to equipment and free cycling tuition where needed. We are also providing locks, lights and helmets for riders that don't have them. We are aiming to reach lots more children and families through this campaign - get in touch if you can support these efforts!'