An active start in life
How we are making a difference:
- We co-ordinate the countywide programme YouMove which provides low cost and free activities for families with children on benefit related free school meals, as well as children who are otherwise vulnerable. This amazing programme is now benefiting more than 5,500 Oxfordshire residents.
- We help to coordinate and promote Creating Active Schools Framework, helping schools to identify where they can embed physical activity within their school day.
- We work with partners to increase swimming and cycling across Oxfordshire, helping children in most need learn to swim and ride a bike.
- We support primary schools across Oxfordshire to spend the PE Premium funding in the most effective and sustainable way, sharing key learnings and promoting best practice across school networks.
- The Oxfordshire School Games is a year round programme of physical activity and school sport that inspire young people to be more active. Active Oxfordshire works with School Games Organisers, School Sports Partnerships and National Governing bodies to deliver activities to young people facing barriers to activity across the county each year.
- We focus our interventions on the most disadvantaged areas of Oxfordshire to challenge inequalities.
Healthy Active Children is one of Active Oxfordshire's Three Pillars and we work tirelessly with partners to make sure that our younger generations can access a healthy, active start in life.
Ready Set Go Project: case study
Ready Set Go is a collaborative project being run by Oxford Hub. The project aims to support every child in Oxford to learn to swim and ride a bike. Operating predominantly in Blackbird Leys, Cowley, Cowley Marsh and Northfield Brook, the project will aim to increase physical activity levels within families and young people.
'So far we are have supported children and families to learn how to ride a bike by providing them access to equipment and free cycling tuition where needed. We are also providing locks, lights and helmets for riders that don't have them. We are aiming to reach lots more children and families through this campaign - get in touch if you can support these efforts!'