An active start in life
How we are making a difference:
- We provide advice and support to a range of innovative schemes such as Cherwell District Council's FAST programme, the year-round walk to school scheme WOW and the Ready Set Go project with Oxford Hub.
- The WOW scheme resulted in 4 in 10 car journeys to school being swapped for a more active option and in participating schools 87% of pupils choosing to walk, cycle or park and stride to school.
- We support primary schools across Oxfordshire to spend the PE Premium funding in the most effective and sustainable way, sharing key learnings and promoting best practice across school networks.
- The Oxfordshire School Games is a year round programme of physical activity and school sport that inspire young people to be more active. Active Oxfordshire works with School Games Organisers, School Sports Partnerships and National Governing bodies to deliver activities to over 30,000 young people in Oxfordshire each year.
- We focus our interventions on the most disadvantaged areas of Oxfordshire to challenge inequalities.
Healthy Active Children is one of Active Oxfordshire's Three Pillars and we work tirelessly with partners to make sure that our younger generations can access a healthy, active start in life.
Sunrise Multicultural Project: case study
Active Oxfordshire has funded Sunrise Multicultural Project to provide a football activity for young people in Banbury Neithrop. This programme aims to improve community and family cohesion whilst increasing physical activity.
"The football project has given Sunrise the chance to work with 35 BAME boys between the ages of 10 and 15. This is an age group we find more difficult to engage with and sport is a good way to do this and give the boys the chance to develop more healthy lifestyles. The project is also giving us the chance to build a stronger staff team by offering training in coaching and referee skills."
Assia Bibi, Project Manager