Your support will change lives
We are living in exceptionally challenging times. The COVID-19 crisis has had a devastating impact on our health, wellbeing and activity levels and there is particular concern about the long-lasting effect on our youngest generations.
In Oxfordshire, there are thousands of children and young people who are not able to access sport and are missing out on the significant benefits that an active life brings. They may be living with a disability or long-term health condition, facing disadvantage or living in poverty. The COVID-19 crisis has made existing inequalities far worse and there are serious concerns about children and young people's mental health, with obesity and inactivity levels on the rise.
Sport has the power to change lives. Being active protects our physical and mental health and wellbeing, improves educational attainment and life chances and boosts confidence and self-esteem.
Why your support is needed
Our response: launching Access Sport Oxfordshire
Credit: The Plastic Goldfish Company
Access Sport has been working in Oxford city since 2014, helping to increase inclusive sport for children and young people most in need. We are delighted to announce that in response to fast-growing need and with generous support from Mark Beard, we are expanding Access Sport's provision across the whole county, benefiting many more children and young people facing disadvantage.
Access Sport Oxfordshire, formed by bringing Access Sport Oxford and Active Oxfordshire together from January 2022, will:
- Widen access to sport for young people facing disadvantage, with a particular focus on areas of greatest deprivation in the county and support clubs in target areas to engage with children and young people in greatest need
- Give disabled children and young people new and inclusive opportunities to enjoy a range of sports
- Create a new generation of diverse sports coaches and leaders for Oxfordshire
By donating to Access Sport Oxfordshire, you will help us reach vulnerable children and young people right across the county, helping them access a wide range of sports and activities to protect their health and wellbeing. Our aim is to support at least 2,000 children and young people in our first year and enable the training of at least 100 new coaches and leaders. Your support will make this a reality.
The difference your support will make
£40 could provide:
- Two activity packs for local families with a range of play and sports equipment
£100 could provide:
- A bicycle, lock and lights for a young person facing disadvantage
- A group swimming lesson for 15 children
£250 could provide:
- A coaching qualification for a member of our local communities to lead activities locally
- Enough equipment to run a community sports day run by local residents
£500 could provide:
- 25 activity packs for local families to receive sports and play equipment
- 14 children with bike tuition so that they can learn to ride a bike
You can make a donation by clicking here: Donate via Just Giving to Active Oxfordshire
To make a donation by cheque or bank transfer, please email email@example.com
Thank you very much - your support really will make a huge difference to some of the most vulnerable children and young people in Oxfordshire.