Why bringing back Share your Warmth has never been more important
Posted: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 15:27
We are living in exceptionally difficult and challenging times, and need to ensure that we are doing all we can to help older people stay active, healthy and connected. That's why we are delighted to be working once more with Age UK Oxfordshire and Sir Muir Gray, to bring back Share your Warmth and encourage people to donate their winter fuel allowance, if they are able to.
Why support the Share your Warmth campaign?
Staying active helps people to live longer, better and reduces the risk of hospital admission and the need for social care. Physical activity doesn't just help protect our bodies; it can make a huge difference to our mental well-being, too. We know that thousands of older people are at serious risk of loneliness and isolation, and that's why helping them to stay active and connected has never been more important.
What are the benefits of physical activity for older people?
- Any amount of physical activity will produce health gains for older people.
- Being active daily will significantly increase those gains
- Older people living with a long-term health condition are 2 ½ times as likely to be inactive
- Many problems typically linked to ageing are actually due to disease, loss of fitness, and negative beliefs and attitudes about growing older
What difference could my donation make?
Your £200 could:
- support 20 housebound people to do specialist seated exercises at home with a home exercise pack
- support 40 older people to attend a tailored group exercise class, keeping them active, mobile and socially connected.
- enable 100 housebound older people in Oxfordshire to receive a friendly phone call
At Active Oxfordshire, we're extremely proud to be working with Age UK Oxfordshire and Sir Muir Gray to bring back Share your Warmth. Please donate, share and spread the word and help us make a real, lasting difference to the lives of older people in Oxfordshire.